+3
Under review

support older android versions

robf 8 years ago updated 7 years ago 5

Can't install ryver app on my phone which uses android 4.1 - would like to move from Slack but this is a deal-breaker for me and probably many others

typo in android version above - its 4.3.1 which is even more recent, so am surprised it isn't supported

Under review

I'm sorry you're unable to install the app on your phone. We have tested devices back to 4.4.2. We currently support the two latest versions (6.0 and 5.x) officially, and would like to support as far back as possible, but at this time, we are unable to dedicate resources to maintaining support any further back than 4.4 KitKat.

Thanks for replying, Jeff.

Unfortunately, then, I'll have to use Slack (which does support older versions of Android) instead of Ryver until you support older versions which still comprise about 25% of Android Market. I suspect I'm not alone in this. See http://www.statista.com/statistics/271774/share-of-android-platforms-on-mobile-devices-with-android-os/

I know this is an old post, but some clarification for future searchers.

Anything older than 4.4 is not even supported anymore. Also anything older than that only contains around 10-15 percent of all android usage. That also means even less would be ryver users and directly impact their business (which is also providing a free service). I can agree with Jeff on this one in not supporting it. As a developer it is extremely difficult to support so many platforms and versions. I honestly wouldn't support 4.* at all and would start rethinking devoting resources to 5.* as it too is 3 or 4 years old and wont be supported much longer considering 8 is in the works.

A simple idea, people should update their phones. It is free to do it!

Fun fact... Everything has an end of life cycle, even Windows XP (should developers still support that too?? Good luck!) :)

Whatever. As I've said Slack works fine on said phone and Android version which I'm still happily using - phone is far too old to update to later versions but still works fine with all apps I use on a day-to-day basis...