When a Task section has over 600 or 700 active tasks, it's starts becoming unresponsive. As tasks increase, it first takes a few seconds to load, but then it can become completely unresponsive and the tasks won't load at all.
This happened to me. I was adding old tasks I had in my outlook, with the idea of working on them or assigning it to other people on my company. First it was only a couple seconds delay. Days passed and as I added more tasks the delay started to grow to 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. Got to the point that it took a few minutes and sometimes it just would not load. I had to retry several times until it finally loaded, and I had no choice but to reverse the process: I started copying the tasks back to my outlook and deleting them from Ryver.
This shouldn't happen. Alternatively, Ryver should mention that users should not have more than X qty of active tasks.
Customer support service by UserEcho